Your life can change in an instant when someone else fails to see you on your motorcycle and causes a crash. An experienced lawyer can help you recover.
Motorcycle accidents often involve serious injuries and property damage. In fact, motorcycle riders are 29% more likely to die from a crash than passengers in other vehicles. When you are facing astronomical bills and an altered future, it can be hard to know what to do next. You need a motorcycle accident lawyer who understands what you’re going through and can assist you with a personal injury lawsuit.
At the Falcon Law Firm, we specialize in handling motorcycle accident cases and focus on providing the best legal representation available. We do the hard work of seeking compensation from those who may be liable so you can heal from your injuries. We also want you to understand more about how to select the right motorcycle accident lawyer for your case.
Contact us today at 732-454-3306 for a free review and consultation. Our attorneys are here to protect your rights and pursue justice on your behalf while you focus on healing.
How Do I Find a Good Local Lawyer?
You should begin your search by looking for an attorney who has experience litigating motorcycle accident cases like yours. Ask other riders who have had accidents who they hired for help. An attorney who rides or frequently works for riders will have more in-depth knowledge of how motorcycle accidents are different from other vehicle crashes.
Your lawyer should be familiar with the special risks motorcycle riders face. Riders are frequently the victims of hit-and-run accidents, and often grievous injuries that extensive medical evaluation. For an individual who must be airlifted to a specialty hospital, or those who are in a coma after the accident, the full amount of damage may not be apparent for weeks. Hiring a personal injury lawyer who regularly works with motorcycle riders can be critical to ensuring your injuries are fully treated for as long as needed.
Motorcycle riders also face a risk of crashing from bad road or weather conditions. In some instances, what seems like a simple case of a rider losing control may actually form the basis of a lawsuit against other parties for causing dangerous conditions for a motorcycle. Drivers who drift or change lanes without looking can leave a rider without a safe path. Poor road maintenance can cause a rider to spin out and crash into a guardrail. Spills and debris left uncollected from other vehicles could endanger other motorists.
Your attorney should investigate all possible causes for your accident to find who is responsible. Just because you lost control of your bike doesn’t necessarily mean it’s your fault.
What Are the Potential Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Suit?
A claim for damages after a motorcycle accident could include:
- Economic damages:
- Hospital bills, such as ICU, ER, and surgery
- Transport costs, including ambulance or helicopter (“life flight”)
- Physical therapy
- Special treatments, such as skin grafts or burn therapy
- Medications and medical devices
- Loss of income
- Travel costs for ongoing medical treatment
- Motorcycle repair or replacement
- Non-economic damages:
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Loss of limb or limb function
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship within a marriage or family members
- Mental anguish, including conditions like PTSD or depression
Because motorcycle riders are less protected, their accidents are often fatal. If you or a loved one dies from a crash, your family can seek all the damages listed above, plus expenses for your burial, funeral, and the loss of their family member by filing a wrongful death action.
The attorney you select should have a proven history of comprehensive settlements and verdicts. What you ultimately receive depends largely on what your attorney knows to ask for during negotiations or trial.
“Punitive damages” are another source of compensation that are essentially “punishment” damages. They are often awarded by a judge when a defendant’s actions were egregious or deliberate, such as reckless or intoxicated driving.
What Questions Should You Ask When Hiring a Lawyer?
It’s advisable to write down the questions you have before you meet with your lawyer and take notes on the answers you receive. After the initial consultation, a good attorney will also make themselves available for any other concerns you have later on. In essence, you are conducting a job interview, and the attorney should work to earn your business.
Not every lawyer will have the combination of qualities you need for your situation. You can often find a great deal of detail about their knowledge and past cases on their website and social media profiles, such as LinkedIn. Look for testimonials and indications that they have specifically handled motorcycle accident cases before.
Some key questions you should ask when hiring a lawyer include:
- How much experience do you have? There is something to be said for years spent in the courtroom and negotiating. Your lawyer should have been in business for a while, with a relatively recent background in handling cases like yours.
- Do you specialize in certain areas of law? Some lawyers will have certifications in specific fields, although this is not required to be successful. Ask how much of their practice is spent in areas like motorcycle accidents or car accidents to get an idea of their strengths and professional focus.
- How much compensation do you think I can receive? A qualified lawyer will be able to assess your losses and describe what types of compensation are reasonable to expect. They also will help you develop a full accounting of damages, which could total more than you realize.
- Do you work on contingency fee? Ask what their standard fee schedule is and whether they work on a contingency fee basis. Many lawyers will set a percentage of the final settlement for their fee as their payment, meaning you don’t have to pay upfront. In contingency fee arrangements, if the lawyer doesn’t achieve a settlement or verdict away, you don’t owe any payments for their services.
- How long will my case take? Each case is unique but your lawyer should be able to give you a rough estimate for the time needed to settle or win your suit. For example, a standard timeframe for personal injury cases is between 6 months and 2 years.
You should also choose a lawyer with experience in negotiating last-minute settlements that may come right before a case is scheduled for trial. When they have built a solid case for you, this gives them powerful bargaining leverage to work out the most satisfactory offer as quickly as possible.
The attorneys at Falcon Law Firm recognize that personal injury sufferers and their families are likely dealing with financial hardship after an accident. That is why we invest our office’s resources to build cases upfront, and only earn our fee if we successfully settle or win your lawsuit.
What Are the Signs of a Good Lawyer?
Along with experience in litigating cases like yours, you want a lawyer who “feels right.” This means they are comfortable to talk with, and you’re able to connect with them. Like all people, lawyers have different communication styles and personalities, and the best attorney for you will be someone you can rely on and trust throughout the process.
Good lawyers build relationships with their clients by listening to their stories and honestly reviewing their options. A good local lawyer will answer all your questions before you sign an agreement. They will be interested in providing the best legal counsel they can.
A good lawyer will also be willing to go to trial and fight for the justice you deserve. A lawyer should negotiate with insurance companies for a settlement, but also be prepared to litigate on your behalf if that is in your best interests. After a motorcycle accident caused by another’s negligence, you deserve a lawyer who will fight for full compensation to improve your health outcomes, your family’s cohesion, and the financial security of your future.
Contact the Motorcycle Accident Lawyers at the Falcon Law Firm Today
The motorcycle accident lawyers at the Falcon Law Firm stand ready to put our exceptional skills to work for you. We have recovered millions in settlements and verdicts for our clients, devoting careful, personal attention to every detail of each case. We help you recover the maximum compensation available to you.
Our team of attorneys and legal professionals will work tirelessly to gather evidence and build a strong case to protect your rights. We will also help you organize treatment and motorcycle repairs so you can focus on healing after your crash. Falcon Law Firm always goes the extra mile to meet with and support our clients.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact us today through our online form or call 732-454-3306 for a free consultation.