Home and Hospital Visits are Available for Your Convenience – Personal Attention – Not Just Legal Action
Car accidents remain the leading cause of accidental death in the U.S. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that three million people are injured each year and more than 90 people are killed each day in car accidents. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a car accident, contact a Monmouth County car accident lawyer at the Falcon Law Firm, LLC to discuss your legal options.
Causes of Car Accidents
The New Jersey Bureau of Transportation and Data Safety receives crash reports each year from law enforcement agencies statewide. While some car accidents may occur due to unavoidable circumstances, almost all are attributable to human error. Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Auto defects: Car manufacturers may make mistakes when designing or manufacturing vehicles. These auto defects can lead to fatal accidents.
- Distracted driving: More than 1,000 people are injured and nine are killed each day in distracted driving accidents, according to the CDC. Texting, talking on the phone, and operating navigation technology are common causes of distraction.
- Drowsy driving: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that drowsy driving causes up to 100,000 car accidents a year. Drowsy driving is especially prevalent in the commercial truck driving industry.
- Drugs/Alcohol: Drugged or drunk driving accidents claim more than 10,000 lives per year, according to the NHTSA. The administration also reports that approximately one-third of all traffic crash fatalities in the U.S. involve drunk drivers.
- Speeding: Traveling at a high rate of speed or engaging in other aggressive driving behavior often leads to severe injuries and fatalities.
- Unsafe road conditions: Roads that are not properly maintained may cause car accidents. Victims may be able to hold the responsible government agency liable if it knew about the poor road conditions and failed to remedy them within a reasonable amount of time.
Types of Car Accidents
Car accident victims may suffer various injuries and losses depending on the type of car crash in which they were involved. Common cases include:
- Head-on collisions
- Hit and runs
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-impact/T-bone crashes
- Sideswipe collisions
- Vehicle rollovers
Compensation for Car Accident Injuries in New Jersey
Generally, a plaintiff must prove that they suffered actual damages as a result of the defendant’s negligence. Types of compensation available include:
- Loss of consortium/enjoyment of life
- Loss of earning capacity
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
Those who are found to be at-fault for car accidents may be held liable in personal injury lawsuits. However, the laws on this vary by state, therefore it is advisable for car accident victims to contact a local qualified attorney to discuss their case.
New Jersey and Pennsylvania follow the modified comparative rule of negligence, which requires plaintiffs to be at or below 50 percent responsible for their accident to qualify for maximum compensation. Those who were more than 51 percent to blame for the accident may still collect damages, however their recovery will be reduced by an amount equal to their percentage of fault.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you were in a car accident, seek medical attention for your injuries immediately. If possible, write down details about the accident and take pictures of the scene. Gather pertinent information such as the name, license plate number, and auto insurance details of the other driver, as well as names and contact information for any witnesses. Be wary of making any recorded statements or signing any agreements before contacting an attorney to ensure that your rights are protected.
Monmouth County Car Accident Lawyers at the Falcon Law Firm, LLC Assist Victims with Personal Injury Claims
If you were injured or you lost a loved one in a car accident, contact a Monmouth County car accident lawyer at the Falcon Law Firm, LLC. Our experienced attorneys can help you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries. Conveniently located in Aberdeen, Oakhurst, and Parlin, New Jersey and Doylestown, Pennsylvania, we serve clients throughout Belmar, Deal, Ocean Township, Point Pleasant, West Long Branch, Sayreville, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, and Bucks County. For a free consultation, please complete our online contact form or call us at 732-660-1200.