wet floor sign

When you slip and fall on a government property, you may have the option to sue for compensation. However, you need to know that the process for suing the government is not exactly the same as the process for suing a private company or citizen. There are also some important deadlines to be aware of. This is why you should contact a Monmouth County slip and fall lawyer from our firm as soon as possible.

What Are Some Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Accident?

Slip and fall accidents are no joke. They can cause serious injuries, especially in older people. Someone who falls can end up with:

  • Broken or fractured bones
  • Organ damage
  • Cuts and bruises
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Traumatic brain injury or concussion

If you or a loved one fell on government property and you believe that someone’s negligence was to blame, you should do your best to hold them accountable.

Can I Sue the Government for a Slip and Fall?

You can sue the government, but not right away. First, you must submit a notice of claim. Essentially, you are telling the state, town, or city that you are planning to sue them for damages. These entities are not immune from lawsuits. The process for bringing one against them just differs slightly from the process for suing private companies and other people.

How Long Do I Have to Take Legal Action Against the Government?

In most cases, you have 90 days to submit your claim and begin preparing for a lawsuit. However, it’s important to note that different towns and municipalities can set their own rules and deadlines here. The time limit to submit your claim could be as short as 30 days. So acting quickly is in your best interest.

What Kinds of Damages Can I Win?

The law does limit what kinds of damages can be won in a lawsuit against the government. In most cases you can only win “specific” damages, meaning those which are easy to calculate. Medical expenses can easily be added up by looking at hospital and doctor’s bills. Lost wages can be calculated based on your previous paychecks. So your compensation can cover damages like these.

You are unlikely to be awarded compensation for those things that are harder to quantity. This means that receiving compensation for something like pain and suffering is unlikely.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

You are not required to hire a lawyer, but one of our experienced attorneys can do a lot to help you with your case. We can make sure that you don’t miss any important deadlines and we can help you negotiate for fair compensation. You don’t have to go it alone here.

Contact Our Law Firm Today

So if you were hurt on government property, you need to act quickly. Contact Falcon Law Firm and schedule a consultation with our attorneys. We’ll help you figure out the next steps.